st Andrews

From Coast to Coast

A church or sacred site

Destination hub

St James’s Roman Catholic Church

This building was designed by Reginald Fairlie and built between 1909 and 1910. It was his first independent commission; he went on to become one of the finest church architects in Scotland in the first half of the 20th century.


The former Martyrs Parish Church

All Saints Scottish Episcopal Church

St Leonard’s Parish Church

St Andrew’s Scottish Episcopal Church

Hope Park Church of Scotland

Blackfriars Church, St Andrews.

St Leonard’s Chapel, St Andrews.

St Salvator’s Chapel, St Andrews University

Holy Trinity Parish Church

St Andrews Cathedral

St Rule’s Church, St Andrews Cathedral

By Cycle

St Andrews has some on road cycle lanes and some paths shared with pedestrians.

See http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/cyclemap.pdf

By Foot

St Andrews is a compact town, and all the sites of interest are easily explored by foot.

Walking guides are available, such as

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fife-stirling/st-andrews.shtml

and the more comprehensive

http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~ishbel/StATour.pdf

Public transport information can be found on the Traveline website.

All roads merge in St. Andrews, centre of medieval and modern pilgrimage, at a Celtic place of prayer. Columba and Andrew, Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant conjoin, in a place where religious conflict in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries claimed victims on all sides.

Each of the town’s main thoroughfares points to the Cathedral. Explore the life of medieval pilgrims at St Andrews Museum. Visit the distinctive churches of many traditions, including Holy Trinity Parish Church in the centre where John Knox preached his first sermon as a Protestant. The University retains its medieval colleges, with St Salvator ‘s notable chapel. Then progress to the Cathedral with its ruined majesty and superb artefacts, including the St Andrews Sarcophagus, a masterwork of Celtic Christian stone carving, and the freestanding St Rule’s Tower. The relics of St Andrew, however, reputedly brought from Greece by St Rule were dispersed at the Reformation.

By pilgrim town and Cathedral ruin we come finally to St Mary’s Chapel by the sea, solitary point of contemplation, and probably the site of the first Celtic monastery. They took literally the command to carry faith to the ends of the earth. But what grew eventually here was not simple monastic cell but a consciously crafted Scottish Jerusalem.

We would love to hear about your experiences on this route - please post your comments below